Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Discipline of Writing

It's been nearly a month since my last post.  It's a good example of how writing can be either a discipline or a sweeping force.  My previous post was a review of Derek Webb's Black Eye Tour.  I wrote it on the night of, sitting at my computer typing as fast as my thoughts and fingers could synchronize.  I was inspired, I was moved, I had to write.

My struggle to put the metaphorical pen to paper for the Skool series, though, is a good example of the need for discipline in writing.  I believe it was Sir Francis Bacon who said that "writing makes an exact man." (I am too lazy to do a basic Google search to confirm this, but I think John Piper tweeted this quote a month back.) I desire for the Skool series to be part travelogue, part argument.  Experiential, yes, but I want what I feel to be guided by what is real, that is, by Scriptural teaching.  Thus, part of the reason my Skool postings have been sparse has been because I've been reflecting on the issue.  Part of the reason my Skool postings have been sparse has been because my reflections have been undisciplined.

So, without further a-do, it's time to write Skool, pt. 2.  See you in an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home