Friday, February 26, 2010

Revised Standard Virus

As I type this post, I'm 95 percent certain that no, the codeine infused prescription cough syrup is not affecting my judgment.  The other five percent of certainty has a strong hunch that I will find Aqua Teen Hunger Force more hilarious than ever.  But regardless, I sit at home on day one of my three day home imprisonment.  Yesterday evening, I was diagnosed with RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, a disease whose spelling I now know quite well.  As far as contagious viruses go, RSV is an interesting one.  It's worlds better than the flu, that's for sure, but nevertheless, my cocktail of drugs is proof positive that it's five o'clock somewhere.

While on normal days, I dream of lazy days lounging around the house, watching independent films and sports, today I do so knowing that it comes at a price.  As I began my preparation to go back to school, I was excited to what seemed to be a unique and innovative opportunity to knock out another three credit hours.  "Adoption in Christian Though & Mission" was going to combine the "Adopting for Life" Conference with an addition 10 hours of lectures, six books, and a paper.  I was excited about the chance to learn, but RSV has destroyed that chance.  The conference is tomorrow.  The first lecture was this evening.  I can attend neither with an infection virus.  The circumstances force me to drop the course.  All I can do is pray that I get some money back.

In all honesty, I don't mind being set back another three hours.  I am saddened (but not sorrowful) over the loss of this chance to learn, but worse things have happened.  I am reminded yet again how little control I have over my life.  I ought to hold my plans in an open hand, knowing that the Lord's will trumps my own.  Nevertheless, I find myself waiting so often.  I read a Paul Tripp quote once about how  it's not about what we're waiting for (in my case, marriage and the chance to be a pastor) but what we become as we wait.  While listening to Sandra McCracken's song "Saturn's Fields" I was comforted by the mysterious thought of a joyful future, no matter how long the wait is.  Give it a listen below.  "I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living! Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!" (Ps. 27:13-14)


2 Comments:

At 3:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

at least you didn't get the NKJV, I hear it's a beast!

 
At 10:20 PM , Blogger Laura said...

You, my friend, are HILARIOUS when you're strung out on cough syrup. Officially.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home