Friday, January 11, 2008

Musing from Readings: A.O. Scott on "Family" Films

In my mind, A.O. Scott is second only to Roger Ebert when it comes to thoughtful, intelligent, and artistic film reviews. The primary critic for The New York Times, I have learned to trust his ability to engage the artistic value of a film. While on a break at Starbucks this evening, I happened across this article he wrote regarding the sort of films to which children should be taken. Granted, if I were a father, I might not approve of showing all the films he mentions to children, but I must admit that I like what he's getting at. You'll find that I return to this topic over and over again, that art is not merely meant to entertain, but rather, it is meant to teach and train the heart.

That said, click it or ticket.

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM , Blogger The Reformed Pastor said...

hummm...

The idea is good: putting challenging questions before your children to encourage growth. But I am not bought that this is the area in which to do it. I can't image myself going to see most of the movies he listed. Much more taking my children to see them.

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Michael said...

Pablo...

I need to read some stuff from you. You need to write (wow...that's the pot calling the kettle black)!

-me

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Rebecca Dennison said...

I like the idea here - even if, like you, I don't know that I'd take a kiddo to some of the movies he listed. But I like the idea of respecting your childrens minds -expecting more of them rather than less - and striving to challenge and feed them - to be honest with them and strive to teach them to wrestle with difficult things rather than hiding them all away and leaving them to figure it all out for themselves when they move out on their own.

Shoot, this challenges the way I choose movies and books for myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home