Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Snow

There's a blanket of snow on the ground again, and I must admit, it taunts me. It taunts me because it's white, it's pure, and it reminds of God's promise to his people, spoken through Isaiah, that though their sins were scarlet, he would make them white as snow. Most of the time, the snow is a relief to me, it reminds me that I am forgiven, that God has paid for my sins by his grace, but sometimes (like some of today) it makes me realize just how sinful I am, and to add to that sin, how much I strive towards works-righteousness. When snow falls, it seems to absord all sound with it, and the flakes just fall in deafening silence. There's a peace to it, and if the flakes are large enough and the conditions right, most everything is soon buried beneath its purity.

I heard a song the other day that just perfectly captures that emotional ups and downs of following Christ, the way that the hope of glory and the weight of sin meet. It's called "My Soul Rejoice and Sing" and is from Red Mountain Church's album Help My Unbelief. I hope that it will encourage you as well, for there are times when all we who follow Christ will "feel as cold as clay."

My soul rejoice and sing,
Thy Father’s glorious praise;
And let His precious love,
Employ thee all thy days;
To save my soul from hell,
Was His eternal will;
And bless His precious name,
His purpose to fulfill.

He took the Lord, the great I AM,
And as a nail He fastened Him.

When deep calls to deep,
And sins like mountains rise,
And the old prince of hell,
Says all the Bible’s lies,

This nail is fastened, in my heart,
Nor will it e’er, from me depart.

My wicked heart has said,
Again yea, and again,
That Christ my soul will leave,
To perish in my sin;

But though I feel as cold as clay,
He will not, cannot, go away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home